We have heard this story so often that it may fail to impress us. Our attention may be more on Easter dinner, dyed eggs and baskets of candy. But how would this day be different if we had just discovered there is more to life than we could possibly have imagined? What difference would this discovery make on Monday morning?
- Lord Jesus, you were not in the tomb on that morning: Lord, have mercy.
- Christ Jesus, you came to teach us of life after death: Christ, have mercy.
- Lord Jesus, you call us to see life with new meaning: Lord, have mercy.
- Acts 10:34a, 37-43 Peter preaches the risen Christ to the Gentiles
- Ps 118 This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad
- Col 3:1-4 We who are baptized are bound to Christ
- Mk 16:1-7 The women, coming to anoint Jesus’ body, find the empty tomb
Prayer of the Faithful
Presider Let us pray for all those throughout the world seeking the hope of new life.
Minister For the whole church: that it may be an ongoing faithful witness to the full meaning of life … we pray,
- For those who have given up on life, who live in deep poverty, in hopeless injustice, or in the midst of violence and death ... we pray,
- For those who hold out hope for the future, who see endless possibilities and share them with others ... we pray,
- For those who protect and promote life in every form, despite personal or political risk; and for those who resist them ... we pray,
- For the willingness and courage to set Jesus Christ as the cornerstone of our lives, an act that would be true cause for rejoicing and praise this Easter ... we pray,
- For those in this community who need to hear the Easter message; and for the motivation to carry hope to others through our parish ministries ... we pray,
- For the people, places and experiences in our lives that bring us amazement and wonder even if we, like the women at the tomb, do not always understand the hand of God in what we see ... we pray,
Presider God of life, you sent your beloved Son to show us that death does not have the last word. On this feast of the Resurrection, grant us renewed faith and commitment to life in him. We ask this in the name of the risen Christ. Amen.