Celebrating Easter is more than belief; it involves action on our part. If we really believe that Christ is risen and among us, it will be reflected tangibly in how we live. It may be expressed differently in each of us, but it will be evident. Luckily, his final words to us are about repentance and forgiveness, so we don’t need to be perfect. But if we truly believe, those who encounter us will know it.
- Lord Jesus, you opened the hearts and minds of those whom you encountered: Lord, have mercy.
- Christ Jesus, you are risen and among us even now: Christ, have mercy.
- Lord Jesus, you call us to be witnesses and to keep your commandments: Lord, have mercy.
- Acts 3:13-15, 17-19 Peter proclaims Jesus’ role and call for repentance
- Ps 4 Lord, let your face shine on us
- 1 Jn 2:1-5a Knowing Christ is to keep his commandments
- Lk 24:35-48 Jesus’ final words are of forgiveness and repentance
Prayer of the Faithful
Presider Let us pray that we may reflect the presence of Christ in all that we say and do.
Minister That the church may be a clear, credible witness to the resurrected Christ through our love and mercy toward one another ... we pray,
- For the impact of our witness on political decisions both domestically and internationally, especially on issues of peace and justice ... we pray,
- For our country especially in places where there is internal strife, for those circumstances where it is difficult to admit mistakes, ask forgiveness or forgive one another; and for those who work to heal those divisions ... we pray,
- For the serenity that comes when the Lord’s gladness fills our hearts and for the grace to reflect that joy to others ... we pray,
- For those who are reluctant to change; and for those who have been too wounded to grant forgiveness, especially within our families ... we pray,
- For the desire to heal any divisiveness within this community; and for those among us who are sick, dying, grieving or in any kind of need ... we pray,
Presider God of abiding love and mercy, we thank you for calling us to stretch beyond our limitations and to live as witnesses to your risen Son. Help us to live as repentant, forgiven, loving members of Christ’s body. In God’s name we pray. Amen.