Nativity of the Lord
Today we celebrate a light in the darkness. But not everyone can see it. John the Evangelist had to explain it, because the world did not recognize Jesus. God is indeed here among us, in human flesh. We are invited to see this amazing light and help others recognize it, too.
- Lord Jesus, you were with God from the beginning of the world: Lord, have mercy.
- Christ Jesus, you came to bring light to the world: Christ, have mercy.
- Lord Jesus, you gave us power to become children of God: Lord, have mercy.
Readings for Christmas Mass During the Day
- Isa 52:2-10 The messenger proclaims glad tidings
- Psalm 98 All the ends of the earth have seen the saving power of God.
- Heb 1:1-6 You are my son; this day I have begotten you.
- John 1:1-18 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
Prayer of the Faithful
Presider Brothers and sisters, we who have been shown the light that shines in the darkness pray now for our needs and the needs of the whole world.
Minister That the church and all Christians may reflect the light of Christ to the whole world … we pray.
- That the light of peace may shine on all who dwell in the darkness of violence or war … we pray,
- That the light of hope may shine on all who sit in the darkness of poverty or injustice … we pray,
- That the light of encouragement may shine on those surrounded by confusion, doubt or hopelessness … we pray
- That the light of inspiration may shine on those seeking to create a better world and new possibilities for others … we pray,
- That the light of love may shine on our families and loved ones and on those who are alone during this holiday season … we pray,
- That the light of healing may shine on the sick, dying and grieving among us; for those who have died, whose memories are with us at this special time … (names) … we pray,
Presider O God, you sent us the eternal light to lead us out of the darkness of fear and doubt. During this holy season, make us aware that the light of Christ surrounds us and calls us to be people of light to others. We pray with joy and gratitude in his holy name. Amen.