Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
From: December 8, 2014
Brothers and Sisters, we celebrate today the unique place of Mary -- our sister and the mother of Jesus -- among humans throughout history. The church affirms that Mary alone was conceived and born perfect and without sin -- chosen to be the mother of God. But this honor does not free her from the difficult choices in life. She shows us how to respond to whatever calling comes to us from God, whomever and wherever we are.
- Lord Jesus, you are the one in whom we are chosen: Lord, have mercy.
- Christ Jesus, you entered the human race through Mary: Christ, have mercy.
- Lord Jesus, you have freed us from Adam’s choices: Lord, have mercy.
- Gn 3:9-15, 20 Adam’s actions have consequences for himself and his offspring
- Psalm 98 The Lord has done wondrous deeds
- Eph 1:3-6. 11-12 God has chosen us through Jesus Christ
- Luke 1:26-38 Mary responds to the call to bear a son
Prayer of the Faithful
Presider Brothers and sisters, we ask Mary to join us as we pray to be open to all that God wants for our world and for us.
Minister That the church may imitate Mary’s response to God’s unexpected and challenging call...we pray,
- For women throughout the world who must make hard choices on behalf of others...we pray,
- For women whose lives are committed to the vulnerable: or mothers and foster mothers, doctors and nurses, social workers and counselors, for all women in the helping professions...we pray,
- For women living in violent situations: those who are battered or abused; those subject to human trafficking; those under persecution or the siege of war...we pray,
- For all who struggle with the choices and demands of life: those who are unsure, afraid, doubtful or despairing...we pray,
- For the needy and sick among us; for those who have died...(names)...we pray,
Presider Kind and faithful God, you chose Mary to bear your son, Jesus; and you have chosen us as your beloved in him. Make us worthy of this calling, and hear our prayers which we raise to you in his name. Amen.