To those who suffer, words (and actions flowing from them) really do matter. In today’s readings, God hears suffering and heals the brokenhearted. That is what Jesus was about in his ministry. That is what the disciples and all his followers have always been about. That is what we, too, are called to be doing. Hearing, preaching and living the Gospel are ultimately about life, love and healing. There are as many ways to do this as there are committed Christians.
- Lord Jesus, you healed Simon Peter’s mother-in-law: Lord, have mercy.
- Christ Jesus, you preached in the synagogue and drove out demons: Christ, have mercy.
- Lord Jesus, you call us to live the Gospel and heal the suffering and brokenhearted: Lord, have mercy.
- Jb 7:1-4, 6-7 Job laments and questions his suffering
- Ps 147 Praise the Lord, who heals the brokenhearted
- 1 Cor 9:16-19, 22-23 Paul’s mission is to preach the Gospel
- Mk 1:29-39 Jesus preaches and drives out demons
Prayer of the Faithful
Presider Let us pray now for all who suffer in our community and throughout the world.
Minister For the church: that it may be faithful to preaching the Gospel and healing the brokenhearted at all times and in all places ... we pray,
- For those whose suffering goes beyond words and is caused by indifference, injustice or violence ... we pray,
- For those who have misused or misinterpreted the Gospel for personal or political gain; and for the courage to challenge them ... we pray,
- For those who preach the Gospel and attend to those in need, especially in difficult and challenging situations ... we pray,
- For all humanitarian organizations and programs that serve suffering people in our neighborhoods and around the globe ... we pray,
- For all who touch the suffering through kindness, companionship, generosity or any simple acts of consolation in this community and beyond ... we pray,
Presider Loving God: you have spoken to us in mercy and love throughout the ages, and you sent your only Son as love incarnate. Empower us to carry your healing message forward through our words and actions. We ask this in the name of Jesus, the divine Healer. Amen