When God works with the world, it involves a call to repentance. Over the centuries, that call has been issued by many, from prophets to Jesus himself. And the call continues today. Wonderful new things happen in the reign of God, and that always involves our acting in new ways. “The time of fulfillment” is always at hand, because we are not yet totally there; and we are invited once again to be a part of it.
- Lord Jesus, you called Simon, Andrew and James to discipleship: Lord, have mercy.
- Christ Jesus, you called them to repent and follow you: Christ, have mercy.
- Lord Jesus, you extend that same invitation to all of us: Lord, have mercy.
- Jon 3:1-5 Jonah calls Nineveh to repentance
- Ps 25 Teach me your ways, O Lord
- 1 Cor 7:29-31 The Corinthians await Christ’s return
- Mk 1:14-20 Jesus’ ministry begins with a call to repentance
Prayer of the Faithful
Presider We raise our voices in prayer for all of us who are surely in need of repentance.
Minister For the universal church and for this community: That we may acknowledge our own need to repent and be a viable source of consolation for others ... we pray.
- For all the places in the world where unjust systems reflect the need for institutional repentance; and for leaders of integrity willing to address them ... we pray,
- For those who feel no need to change or who fear what this may require of them; and for times when we focus on others’ need for repentance ... we pray,
- For the programs and ministries that promote the need for change and the importance of making amends ... we pray,
- For an attentive ear and open heart to hear all that God may ask of us ... we pray,
- For all of us that we might learn to listen more carefully and closely not only to God, but to one another ... we pray,
- For parents and for all who are responsible for teaching and modeling the need for repentance to our children and youth ... we pray,
Presider Compassionate God, we acknowledge that we are all in need of repentance. Grant us the humility and the courage to become the people you call us to be. Help us especially when change seems difficult, or even impossible. We choose to walk in the ways of your Son, in whose name we pray. Amen