Throughout his ministry, Jesus responded to and addressed the needs around him. Today we hear of his early teaching and confronting evil with authority through an exorcism. We recognize his profound actions as miracles. We, too, are called to respond to the needs around us with compassion. We rely on him for the support we need to address what we see, including dark and difficult issues. Doing that is a kind of miracle in itself.
- Lord Jesus, you taught in the synagogue with authority: Lord, have mercy.
- Christ Jesus, you confronted and drove out unclean spirits: Christ, have mercy.
- Lord Jesus, you call us to serve others and to confront evil when we see it: Lord, have mercy.
- Dt 18:15-20 Moses speaks of a future prophet
- Ps 95 If today you hear his voice, harden not your heart
- 1 Cor 7:32-35 Paul addresses concerns about marriage
- Mk 1:21-28 Jesus begins his ministry with exorcism
Prayer of the Faithful
Presider Let us pray for the needs of the world today and for those called to address those needs.
Minister For the church as it continues the ministry of Jesus in every time and place, may we offer open ears and hearts and seek understanding and compassion in all that we do ... we pray,
- For those called to confront the dark forces of evil in violence, war, poverty and inequality wherever it is found in the world ... we pray,
- For those Christians who do not feel responsible for addressing evil or who harden their hearts to the suffering of others ... we pray,
- For those who have separated Christianity from the call to minister to those in need, or who look to the Gospel for self-aggrandizement or personal prosperity ... we pray,
- For those suffering from the dark forces of physical or mental illness, poverty or addiction, depression or despair, especially in this community; and for those who work to assist and heal them ... we pray,
- For the needs of this community ... we pray,
Presider Holy God, you sent your beloved Son to speak and act prophetically in your name. You gave him power over the dark forces of evil for the sake of the whole world. We are called to hear his voice and to continue his work of confronting evil wherever we many find it. Help us, we pray; and empower us in his name. Amen.